When you’re traveling with your baby, you want a really good baby monitor for travel that you can count on. It should be easy to check on your little one, hassle-free to carry around, effortless to mount the camera, and come with top-notch security features.
As a parent of a curious toddler a few years ago, I vividly recall the heightening of my anxiety whenever we traveled. My toddler tended to wander out of sight, causing great concern. I would fervently pray for their safe return. Thankfully, with the introduction of baby monitors, nothing brings a parent more peace of mind than having a reliable monitoring device for parents on the go.
As we put together this list, we managed to re-use our testing for baby monitors we had in our past evaluations to reduce the budget spend. Our evaluation criteria to rank the top portable monitors for traveling parents started with a long list but ended up narrowing it down to horn in on factors that matter when traveling such as ease of packing and installation, security features in unsecured Wi-Fi networks, weight, battery life, hardiness/durability to withstand travel stressors and price.
We also wanted to include options for parents who prefer app-based options, standalone screen options, and audio-only options, as well as those who want video capabilities. After extensive research and testing, we have compiled a list of the best baby monitors for travel that fulfill all these criteria.
Whether you’re going on a road trip on your family sedan or SUV, flying across the country, going on a cruise, going on a safari, or even just visiting family in another state, these baby monitors will give you the peace of mind you need to enjoy your travels while keeping an eye on your little one.
So, without further ado, let’s take a closer look at the top portable baby monitors for travel.
Quick Comparison of Our Best Monitors for Travel:
Wall & Table Mount
Wall & Table Mount
Wall & Floor Mount with Multi-Stand
Wi-Fi(2.4 and 5GHz)
List of 5 Top Travel-friendly Baby Monitors:
- Infant Optics DXR 8 Pro: Overall best pick
- iFamily Baby Monitor: Budget-friendly portable option with excellent ratings
- Nanit Pro Smart Baby Monitor: Best app-based travel-friendly monitor with travel-ready mounting called Multi Stand
- Lollipop: Best compact monitor for travel
- VTech DM1211: Best audio monitor for parents on the go.
Best Portable Baby Monitors for Travel in 2024: Reviews
The Infant Optics DXR 8 Pro is our top pick for a travel baby monitor that utilizes a standalone screen and a localized closed-circuit system, rather than relying on Wi-Fi. This model exceeded our expectations in terms of its lightweight design, easy mounting, portability, extended battery life, enhanced security features, and impeccable durability. Weighing only 1.96 pounds, it’s half the weight of the highly portable MacBook Air 15.
I found the display unit design to be super compact to easily fit in a large-size pocket and comes with a kickstand to make it easy to place it on a table. You can easily mount the camera on a flat surface such as on a hotel dresser without needing any mounting brackets. During our testing, this monitor outperformed all other non-wifi options on range connection. However, what truly impressed us was the exceptional stability of the connection. Even at distances of up to 85 feet indoors, with up to 7 thick walls in between, we experienced no frequent drops. This means you can rely on a consistently reliable transmission.
With its second-generation Frequency Hoping Spread Spectrum, this model guarantees you 100% privacy of your signal, and won’t have to worry that someone may eavesdrop on your baby’s signal.
This model prioritizes safety with a voice-activation feature to limit EMF radiation and prolong battery life. It emits radiation only when necessary, going into sleep mode when your baby is quiet and resuming transmission when it detects noises.This unit also allows you to remotely pan, tilt and zoom the camera which you can’t with models such as Eufy Spaceview S Pro model which is comparable to this DXR 8 Pro model.
This DXR 8 Pro model is an upgrade from the older DXR 8 model which weighs a few pounds more than this model and has poor connection range and poor battery life. This new model’s improved design met all our checklists for a reliable non-connected monitor for carrying around when traveling.
iFamily Baby Monitor:
If you want a budget and travel-friendly video baby monitor, the iFamily Baby Monitor is your best choice. Going for almost a quarter of Infant Optics above and having excellent qualities that make it suitable for travel, you’re getting the best value with this monitor. It weighs almost 0.5 pounds less than Infant Optics Pro above and its base is excellent for tabletop mount.
Another unique feature that this 5-inch monitor has is the instant-play lullabies that you can utilize to soothe your baby when they’re nervous, or perhaps anxious sleeping in a new place. Even better, it comes with a 2-way talkback feature giving you the option to even talk to your little one if the lullabies won’t do it. What an excellent option!
Nanit Pro Smart Baby Monitor
For parents looking for the best app-based baby monitor for travel that is secure, my recommendation is the Nanit Pro Smart Baby Monitor. This monitor comes with an independent stand that makes it easy to mount anywhere and for the rest of the family you leave at home when you travel, they can keep up with the little one by using the smartphone app.
What makes Nanit Pro really portable and very suitable as a travel monitor is the multi-stand which allows you to mount it anywhere on the floor or on the wall. When you purchase Nanit, it comes with a wall mount which is not as travel friendly as it requires hardware mounting and hiding of cords. However, the multi-stand allows you to easily set up your smart wifi monitor on the floor of your hotel or in any location.
This monitor gives you a much wider range of monitoring capabilities including sleep tracking, and movement monitoring, and features a flex stand that’s very suitable for families on the go. Whether you’re taking your little one for a playdate or visiting grandparents, the flex stand is so easy to move from room to room.
One thing to note, however, is that Nanit requires to be connected to secure Wi-Fi that requires password-protected access. It cannot connect to public Wi-Fi in places such as hotel or restaurant chains as they often don’t use the secure WPA2 or WPA3 security protocols that Nanit requires to connect. I have provided 4 ways to get around this and connect Nanit to Wi-Fi without passwords here.
Aside from that, you’ll enjoy great times with timelapse videos, and video playback and you can save while spending on this camera too. It is FSA and HSA eligible! The two models above do not have local storage capabilities for storage and are limited in signal range transmission compared to Nanit. If you are traveling abroad and want your family to keep up with your baby, this unit is better compared to the first 2 above as it can transmit signals whenever there is an internet connection.
Lollipop Baby Monitor is another app-based video baby monitor that offers a lighter alternative to Nanit, weighing just 1.1 pounds compared to Nanit’s 2.5 pounds. What sets this model apart as travel-friendly is not only its lightweight design but also its compactness and ease of use. If you’re a family like ours, who enjoys socializing and traveling, this camera is perfect to take anywhere and effortlessly to set up.
At almost $100 less than Nanit, this monitor still offers some smart monitoring capabilities such as cry detection, breath monitoring(with sensor), and record footage of your baby for playback. This model is particularly well-suited for crib mounting, as it features an easy and flexible setup that can be securely attached to any rod or beam.
For families who prioritize portability and convenience while traveling, Lollipop Baby Monitor is a great budget-friendly option.
For parents who want a portable baby monitor for travel that monitors sound only, the VTech DM1211 is the best option. Weighing just over a pound, this unit boasts an unparalleled transmission capability. Powered by DECT 6.0 technology, it can transmit signals up to a distance of 1500 ft. Moreover, the parent unit is designed for utmost portability, equipped with a convenient belt clip for effortless carrying.
The VTech DM1211 also offers crystal clear sound quality and has a talk-back feature, allowing parents to soothe their baby from afar.
One downside of this unit is that it doesn’t have video capabilities, so it may not be suitable for parents who want visual monitoring. However, for a simple and reliable audio monitor for travel, the VTech DM1211 is a top-notch choice.
8 Factors to Consider when Choosing the Best Baby Monitor For Travel:
- Portability: One of the main factors to consider when choosing a baby monitor for travel is its portability. Look for lightweight and compact options that are easy to carry, preferably with a convenient carrying case or clip. Get those models weighing no more than 2.5 pounds. Those below 1.5 pounds are even better!
- Battery Life: Make sure to check the battery life of the baby monitor before purchasing. You don’t want to be constantly searching for outlets while on the go, so choose a monitor with long-lasting battery life lasting for at least 10 hours in a single charge
- Range: If you plan on using the baby monitor in a large space or outdoors, make sure to check its range capabilities. Some monitors can transmit signals up to 1000 ft or more, giving you more freedom and flexibility during your travels.
- Features: Consider what features are important to you when purchasing a baby monitor. Some common features include temperature sensors, two-way talk, night vision, and lullabies. Choose the features that best fit your needs and make your travels easier.
- Durability: Travel can be rough on equipment, especially with the added stress of traveling with a baby. Look for monitors made with durable materials that can withstand bumps, drops, and other potential hazards.
- Mount options: Depending on where you plan on using the monitor, it may be important to consider mounting options. Some monitors come with a clip or stand, while others can be tabletop-mounted for added convenience. In most cases, as you won’t be doing a permanent installation of the baby unit, opt for models that allow you to easily install them temporarily on a tabletop.
- Safety: Always make sure to prioritize safety when purchasing a baby monitor. Look for monitors that have been tested and certified for safety measures such as low radiation emissions and secure wireless connections and are voice-activated. Avoid corded models with exposed wires that pose strangulation hazards.
- Budget: Last but not least, consider your budget when choosing a baby monitor for travel. While some may be willing to splurge on the best features and quality, others may need to stick to a more affordable option. Luckily, there are plenty of budget-friendly options that still offer great functionality for traveling parents.
Final Word and Tips on Portable Monitors for Parents on the Move
By considering your specific needs and priorities, you can find a good portable monitor that will make traveling with your little one much easier and give you peace of mind while on the go. Remember to prioritize important features like portability, battery life, connectivity, durability, mount options, safety, and budget when making your decision. With the right baby monitor for travel, you can enjoy your trip with your little one and ensure their safety and well-being at all times. Happy travels!
- Look for monitors with long-range capabilities to ensure a strong connection even in large or outdoor spaces.
- Consider purchasing a separate camera unit if you have multiple children or need to monitor multiple rooms.
- Don’t forget to pack extra batteries or a charger for your monitor to avoid any unexpected power outages while traveling.
- Test out the monitor before your trip to ensure it works properly and you are familiar with its features.
- Consider purchasing a travel case or bag specifically designed for baby monitors to keep it safe and secure during travel.
- Check for any extra features such as temperature sensors, night vision, or two-way audio communication that may be useful for your specific needs.
- Read reviews and research different models to get a better understanding of their performance and reliability.
- If possible, try to purchase from reputable brands with good customer support in case you encounter any issues while traveling.
- Remember to always follow safety guidelines and never leave your baby unattended, even with a monitor.
By following these tips and considering the best options available, you can find the perfect portable baby monitor for your travels. Enjoy creating memorable adventures with your little one while staying connected and informed every step of the way. Safe travels!
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Sandra W. Bullock is a highly skilled expert in baby safety, specializing in both indoor and outdoor safety. With her previous experience in retail support, she has successfully assisted numerous parents in installing essential safety equipment such as baby gates, cabinet locks, and outlet covers. Additionally, Sandra has collaborated with various child care facilities, providing valuable safety consultations and comprehensive training to caregivers.