Wondering if Nanit works without Wi-Fi or unsure what will happen to Nanit streaming when it loses Wi-Fi? In this guide, I have explained in detail the limited capabilities you can have with Nanit when there is no internet access and all the features that you can still use when Nanit has lost connection.
Does Nanit Work Without Wi-Fi?
Yes, Nanit can still work by streaming live footage to the app even when you’ve lost internet connection as long as the Nanit camera and your Nanit app are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. You should, however, note that Nanit’s capabilities are slightly limited when there is no Wi-Fi network to connect it to its cloud servers.
While it can still record footage and relay videos to your app, it will not deliver sleep insights as the algorithms to do all the sleep data calculations are in the cloud which is inaccessible when there is no internet connection. You can, however, still monitor breathing rate per minute, use its 2-way talkback feature, and even monitor movements.
Does Nanit Require Wi-Fi?
Yes, Nanit requires a Wi-Fi connection for its full capabilities. However, Nanit has been designed with the understanding that Wi-Fi connections may not always be reliable. As such, it has built-in features to mitigate any potential disruptions in its performance.
You can use Nanit without Wi-Fi with limited capabilities, such as live streaming and two-way audio. The camera will continue to record and store data locally on the SD card, but it will not be backed up to the cloud without an internet connection.
Nanit’s baby monitors require Wi-Fi for setup but can work without the internet and still provide a live feed to your mobile device’s app as long as they are on the same home network.
Nanit Features You Can Use Without Wifi:
Features you can use with Nanit without Wi-Fi:
- Live streaming: You can still view a live video and audio feed from the Nanit camera to your mobile device, even without an internet connection as long as you are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. You can comfortably stream during the day or in night vision mode at night even when there is no internet.
- Two-way audio: You can communicate with your child through the Nanit app using two-way audio, even when you lose Wi-Fi connection as long as your Nanit camera is connected to the same network as your app.
- Audio signals: You can still hear your baby’s audio/noises even when your Nanit loses Wi-Fi connection as long as your Nanit camera and app are in the same Wi-Fi network and local viewing is enabled.
- Monitoring breathing: The Nanit camera’s sensors will continue to track your baby’s breathing patterns, even in situations where you lose the Wi-Fi network as long as your Nanit app is in the same Wi-Fi network as the Nanit camera. However, this data will not be backed up to the cloud and the breath monitoring data will not get stored in the cloud immediately as it will wait for the Wi-Fi network to be restored.
- Movement monitoring: You can still receive movement alerts and tracking data on your Nanit app, even without an internet connection as long as the camera and app are connected to the same Wi-Fi network. This feature will not work in real-time but will get synced once the Wi-Fi connection is restored.
Nanit Features You Won’t Use without Wi-Fi
- Sleep insights and analytics: Without an internet connection, sleep insights and analytics will not be available as they require a connection to the Nanit servers. These features provide information on your baby’s sleep patterns and how they compare to other children of the same age.
- Integration with smart home ecosystems: The Nanit camera can be integrated with various smart home ecosystems such as Amazon Alexa and Google Home, allowing you to control the camera using voice commands. This integration will not be available without an internet connection.
- Remote access: Without Wi-Fi, you will not be able to remotely access your Nanit camera from a different location using a different Wi-Fi network with the app. You can only view a live stream of your baby’s room when the app and camera are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
- Push notifications: You will not receive push notifications on your phone if you lose Wi-Fi connection and are not connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Nanit camera. These notifications provide important updates such as when your baby is awake or if there is any movement in the crib.
How to use Nanit without Wi-Fi:
In case you do not have access to a Wi-Fi network, you can still use Nanit by following these steps:
- Set up your Nanit camera and mount it in the desired location.
- Connect your Nanit app to your home Wi-Fi network
- Connect your camera to your home Wi-Fi network
- Use the Nanit app to access your camera’s live feed and receive notifications.
However, note that without a Wi-Fi connection, some features such as notifications on sleep insights will not be available. Additionally, you will not be able to access your camera’s live feed remotely.
Nanit does not have an ‘offline mode’ that you need to activate. All you need to get the Nanit camera and the app to be on the same network. Unlike devices that have ‘offline mode’ where you need to switch it on every time you’re not connected, Nanit is always ready for use.
For example, if there is a power outage, Nanit will reconnect when the power is restored and you won’t have to manually restart it. Unlike Owlet’s use without Wi-Fi which utilizes Bluetooth, Nanit doesn’t use Bluetooth when you lose internet connection. It, however, has a local-access mode which makes Nanit monitoring without the Internet possible.
Nanit Local Wi-Fi Only Access:
Nanit differentiates itself by offering enhanced flexibility in controlling video feed access through the use of local Wi-Fi. By enabling Local WiFi-Only Access for a Viewer on your parenting team, their access will be restricted once they are disconnected from your camera’s Wi-Fi network.
When the Viewer with Local WIfi-only access is connected to the same WiFi as your camera, they can view the camera’s live stream even when Wi-Fi access is lost. However, their permissions will be limited. If the user leaves the WiFi network that the camera is connected to, they will automatically lose access to the camera’s livestream.
To set up local WiFi-only access for a member of your parenting team, follow these steps:
- Open the Nanit App and navigate to your camera’s settings using the hamburger menu.
- Select the team member whose permissions you want to update.
- Make sure their account type is set to “Viewer”.
- Tap on “Access Type” and choose “Local WiFi-Only Access”.
These steps will allow you to provide WiFi access exclusively through the local network for your parenting team member.
Nanit won't connect to Wi-Fi. What should I do?
First, make sure your Wi-Fi network is functioning correctly and that you have entered the correct password for the network. If the issue persists, try restarting both your Nanit camera and router. If this still doesn’t solve the problem, please refer to our troubleshooting guide or contact customer support for further assistance.
Can I use Nanit without Wi-Fi?
Yes, you can use Nanit without Wi-Fi and can live stream video footage to your Nanit app if your Nanit camera is in the same network as the Nanit app. Please note, however, that the functionalities will be limited without a Wi-Fi connection, such as not being able to access the sleep insights feature or send push notifications to people outside the network. It is recommended to always have your Nanit camera connected to Wi-Fi for optimal usage.
Can I still use Nanit when traveling and don't have Wi-Fi?
If you are traveling and do not have access to Wi-Fi, you can still use Nanit by connecting your camera to a mobile hotspot or using the camera’s built-in hotspot feature. Keep in mind that this may use up your data plan, so make sure to check with your network provider for any additional charges. Another option is to use an ethernet cable to connect your Nanit camera directly to your laptop or tablet, allowing you to access the live stream and all functionalities
- How to fix Nanit Wrong Temperature and Humidity
- Ways to Fix Nanit not Connecting
- How to Connect Nanit to Hotel WiFi
- Nanit ‘Baby is Moving’ False Alert – How to Fix
- Nanit Flashing Red Light
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Sandra W. Bullock is a highly skilled expert in baby safety, specializing in both indoor and outdoor safety. With her previous experience in retail support, she has successfully assisted numerous parents in installing essential safety equipment such as baby gates, cabinet locks, and outlet covers. Additionally, Sandra has collaborated with various child care facilities, providing valuable safety consultations and comprehensive training to caregivers.