Lost signal connection and consistent dropouts can get you wishing you hadn’t bought your VTech baby monitor. I have been there and it can bring out the frustration in any parent or care provider. But do not worry, this guide will help you to easily pair your VTech baby monitor.
What is VTech Baby Monitor Pairing?
VTech Baby Monitor Pairing is the process of connecting your VTech baby monitor camera to its parent unit. This allows communication or audio and visual transfer from the camera or baby unit to the parent unit which can be a display unit. Pairing is a crucial step in setting up your baby monitor and enables you to start monitoring your little one.
For VTech audio monitors, the pairing will enable audio signal transfer but Video monitors enable dual-signal transmission for both audio and visual monitoring.
How to know VTech is not pairing:
There are a few signs that your VTech baby monitor may not be pairing successfully. These include:
- No audio or visual signal from the camera on the parent unit.
- Constant dropouts in signal connection.
- The parent unit displaying an ‘Out of Range’ error message.
- The camera and parent unit not showing up as paired devices.
Below is a VTech DM221 display icons showing different signal strengths;
What you need for successful pairing:
- Locate the pair button of the VTech camera you want to pair with the monitor – Most VTech cameras have the button in the bottom of the camera.
- Make sure the camera is connected to a power source and turned on
- Ensure the parent unit has enough battery or is connected to a power source
- Be within range of the camera (usually recommended distance between 600-1000 feet)
- Have both devices in pairing mode
Preparing to Pair VTech Baby Monitor:
- Make sure both the VTech camera and parent unit are charged
- To prevent interference from other electronic devices, ensure that your baby monitor is positioned at a considerable distance from devices like wireless routers, microwaves, cell phones, and computers.
- Ensure that the baby units are positioned at a distance of more than 1 meter (equivalent to 3 feet) from your baby.
- Align the angle of the baby unit camera to focus on your little one.
- Position the parent unit at a distance of over 1 meter (equivalent to 3 feet) from the baby units.
5 Steps to Pair VTech Camera to the Parent Unit:
- When the parent unit is idle, press the MENU button.
- Use the arrow buttons to select the Pair/Unpair CAM option, then press SELECT.
- Press SELECT again to choose Pair CAM.
- Use the arrow buttons to select an empty baby unit slot, then press SELECT.
- On the parent unit screen, you will see a message that says “Press and hold the pair button on the CAM for 5 seconds until the power indicator flashes.” Immediately, press and hold the PAIR button on the bottom of the baby unit. You will see the LED light flash quickly. In some cameras such as VM5271, the pair button is at the bottom of the camera.
VTech Baby Monitor Pairing Button:
The pairing button is located in a different place for each model. VTech baby monitor cameras usually have the pairing button at the bottom of the device, but some models may have it on the side or back. Refer to your user manual for exact instructions on where to find the pairing button.
Possible Reasons for VTech Not Pairing:
- Out of range: If the parent unit is too far away from the baby unit, it will be unable to pair.
- Signal interference: The environment around your baby monitor may have strong wireless signals that can interfere with pairing. Move the parent unit closer to the baby unit and try again.
- Dead battery: If either the parent unit or camera is not charged, they will not be able to pair.
- Connection failure: If the devices are not properly connected, they will not be able to pair.
- Old firmware: If either device has outdated firmware, pairing may fail.
- Incompatibility: It is possible that the parent unit and baby unit are not compatible with each other, causing pairing issues.
Ways to Fix VTech Baby Monitor not Pairing:
- Ensure that both the parent unit and camera are charged sufficiently.
- Move the parent unit closer to the baby unit to reduce signal interference.
- Reset the devices by unplugging them from power, waiting a few seconds, and then plugging them back in.
- Check for firmware updates on both devices and update if necessary.
- Check the compatibility of the devices before purchasing or pairing them. If they are not compatible, consider exchanging for a different model.
- If all else fails, contact VTech customer support for further assistance. You can also read this other guide on fixing baby monitor that won’t turn on
Pairing Vtech baby monitor to phone
If you own an internet-connected VTech baby monitor brand, you may also be able to pair it with your phone for additional convenience. Here’s how:
- Download the VTech Baby app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Make sure your phone is connected to Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
- Turn on your baby monitor and make sure it is connected to Wi-Fi as well.
- Open the VTech Baby app and follow the instructions to pair your monitor.
- Once paired, you will be able to access the live video feed of your baby monitor on your phone.
- You may also receive notifications on your phone when there is movement or sound in your baby’s room.
- Remember to keep your phone charged and connected to Wi-Fi for uninterrupted use of the VTech Baby app.
Pairing a VTech baby monitor with multiple cameras
If you have more than one camera that you want to pair with your parent unit, here’s how:
- Make sure both cameras are turned on and connected to power.
- On the parent unit, go to the menu and select “Add Camera.”
- Follow the instructions on the screen to pair the additional camera.
- You may need to press a button on the camera or enter a code for it to be recognized by the parent unit.
- Once successfully paired, you will be able to switch between cameras on your parent unit and view multiple feeds.
- Keep in mind that adding multiple cameras may decrease the battery life of your parent unit faster, so make sure to keep it charged.
How to Connect VTech Baby Monitor to WIFI:
If you want to access your baby monitor remotely from your phone or another device, you will need to connect it to Wi-Fi. Here’s how:
- Make sure your baby monitor is turned on and connected to power.On the parent unit, go to the menu and select “Wi-Fi Setup.”Follow the instructions on the screen to connect your baby monitor to your home Wi-Fi network.You may need to enter your Wi-Fi password or press a button on the camera for it to connect.Once connected, you will be able to access your baby monitor through the VTech Baby app on your phone or other devices that are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.If you encounter any issues with Wi-Fi connectivity, make sure your router is not too far from the baby monitor and that no other objects are blocking the signal.You can also refer to the user manual for more detailed instructions on connecting your VTech baby monitor to Wi-Fi.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Sandra W. Bullock is a highly skilled expert in baby safety, specializing in both indoor and outdoor safety. With her previous experience in retail support, she has successfully assisted numerous parents in installing essential safety equipment such as baby gates, cabinet locks, and outlet covers. Additionally, Sandra has collaborated with various child care facilities, providing valuable safety consultations and comprehensive training to caregivers.