Resetting your VAVA Baby Monitor will help you resolve some issues the monitor may experience with maintaining a connection with the VAVA camera. VAVA Monitor also sold under the Hipp brand name on Amazon need to be reset from time to time to ensure efficient functioning.
Let’s start with understanding what resetting your VAVA Monitor is and its benefits.
What is VAVA Monitor Reset?
VAVA Monitor Reset is the process of restoring your VAVA Baby Monitor to its factory settings. This means that all previous configurations, such as local FHSS transmission and camera pairing, will be erased and the monitor will return to its default state.
VAVA’s default settings that are installed when you get it from the retailer have both the camera and the monitor paired. In other words, when you power both the camera and the monitor, the two will automatically pair if they are within range and will immediately see the images and videos on the display unit.
You can start with a soft reset of VAVA Monitor which is essentially power cycling it and if that doesn’t resolve your issue, you can go for hard reset. If that still doesn’t work, do a factory reset which basically requires you to repeat the hard reset 3 times until you see the “Restoring factory setting” displayed on screen.
As you’ll see in the steps below, resetting VAVA Monitor is pretty straightforward compared to resetting other brands such as Owlet. Owlet Dreamsock reset process requires up to 5 mins and involves several steps and noise alerts. Other monitors such as Babysense, VTech and Infant Optics reset process are almost similar to VAVA’s reset steps below.
Why Reset Your VAVA Baby Monitor?
There are a few reasons why you may need to reset your VAVA Baby Monitor:
- Connection Issues: Sometimes, the monitor may have trouble maintaining a connection with the VAVA camera. This can result in intermittent video and audio feeds or complete disconnection from the camera.
- Settings Changes: If you have made changes to your VAVA monitor’s settings and are experiencing issues, resetting it will revert all settings back to their default values.
- Troubleshooting: In case of any technical issues with your VAVA Monitor, resetting it can help troubleshoot and resolve the problem.
- Monitor not powering on: If your VAVA Monitor is not powering on, a reset can help revive it.
- Night vision not working: If you are unable to see images in night vision mode, resetting the monitor can help fix this issue.
- Nothing showing on the monitor: If the monitor is turned on but you are not seeing any images or videos, or seeing a blank screen as shown in this video, a reset may be necessary to fix this issue.
Steps to Reset Your VAVA Baby Monitor(Hard Reset)
#1. Connect both monitor and camera to AC Power:
Before resetting your VAVA Baby Monitor, make sure both the camera and monitor are connected to an AC power outlet. This will ensure that the devices do not lose power during the reset process. Ensure the power switch labeled 6 is switched on
#2. Locate the Reset Button:
On the back of your VAVA monitor, you will find a small hole labeled “Reset”. Use a paperclip or a small pin to press and hold the button inside the hole. The reset button for VAVA is located next to the power switch at the back of the camera
#3. Press and Hold Reset button
Press and hold the reset button for 10 to 15 seconds. You don’t need to necessarily use a timer for this but can use the simple “1-one-thousand”,…”2-one-thousand” counting method until you get to 15 seconds. By pressing the power button, you are making sure that all residual power is drained from the device.
#4. Confirm Reset on VAVA Monitor:
While still holding the reset button, you’ll see a prompt on the VAVA monitor to confirm monitor reset. Press Ok to confirm reset.
#5. Release the reset button
After 10-15 seconds, release the reset button and wait for the monitor to reset itself. This may take a few minutes. Once the reset is complete, the monitor should automatically turn back on.
#6. Check for “Restoring factory setting”
The message “Restoring factory settings” will be displayed on the screen during the restoration process, and no buttons can be pressed to control the device at this time. The monitor will automatically restart upon completion.
Once the monitor restarts it will prompt you to set up the monitor as if it were new as the factory reset deletes all your prior settings in your VAVA monitor. You’ll need to add camera and adjust the settings such as brightness. Here is VAVA’s Manual with instructions on adding or deleting cameras.
To add a camera, press the menu button and navigate to the plus(+) button and click on it. To adjust screen brightness go to settings and choose from the 8 options by clicking on the right dashboard button(to increase) or by clicking on the left button to decrease the brightness.
Upon successful hard/factory reset, most issues will be resolved. If you’re still having issues such as blank screen, contact VAVA’s support using email@example.com or . Make sure you mention to them that you’ve done the reset at least 3 times as indicated on VAVA’s support page here.
Location of VAVA Monitor Reset Button:
You will find VAVA’s reset button on the back panel of the monitor, next to the power switch. It is a small hole but is not labeled “Reset” as other brands are but can identify it with its tiny size located next to the Power switch button that can be toggled.
Below is an image of VAVA Baby monitor camera showing the Reset button labeled 6. Take note of the Power toggle button labeled 5;
Don’t confuse the VAVA reset pinhole on the back side of the camera with the mounting hole(labeled 10 above) at the bottom of the camera or the pairing button(labeled 9 above) at the bottom of the camera.
The reset button is much smaller – almost as small as the pinhole in smartphones. The pinhole pin you use to eject your smartphone sim card can work as a reset button tool on VAVA Baby monitor because of the pinhole’s tiny size.
VAVA Baby Monitor Soft Reset:
A soft reset is a quick and straightforward process that can resolve minor technical issues with your VAVA Baby Monitor. Soft reset is also called power cycle as you basically turn the device off by unplugging it and then plugging it back again.
To perform a soft reset on your VAVA Baby Monitor, follow these steps:
- Unplug the power adapter from both the camera and parent unit (if applicable).
- Wait for 30 seconds to 1 minute before plugging back in.
- Once everything is plugged in, turn on the power switch for both the camera and parent unit.
- Wait for the monitor to boot up completely before attempting to use it.
VAVA Baby Monitor Factory Reset:
If a soft reset does not resolve your issue, you may need to perform a hard reset on your VAVA Baby Monitor. A hard reset will restore the device to its factory settings, erasing any customized settings and configurations. The 6 steps we followed above are for factory reset or hard reset but have also listed them in summary below;
- Ensure both camera and monitor are powered
- Locate the Reset button on the back of the camera (labeled 6 in the image above).
- Using a small pin or paperclip, press and hold down the reset button for at least 10 seconds.
- Release the reset button.
- Restart the monitor and camera
- The camera will reboot and then prompt you to set up the device again as if it were new.
- Follow the setup instructions on the monitor’s screen. To add camera, use the “+” button and follow instructions.
A factory reset of VAVA is similar to a hard reset process above but as per their support page, they require you to do factory reset 3 times. You just follow the process above but do it 3 times. Here are the steps;
- Press the Menu button and navigate to settings indicated with a ‘gear’ icon
- Navigate down to ‘Factory Reset’ and select it
- To confirm the factory reset, press OK while simultaneously pressing the reset button on the VAVA monitor using a pin. Press it for at least 15 seconds
- Repeat the process for two more times.
After performing a factory reset, you will need to re-pair your parent unit with your camera(s). To do this, follow these steps:
- Turn on the parent unit and press Menu button.
- Select “Add Camera” from the menu.
- Press OK to begin pairing.
- The parent unit will display “Pairing Successful” when the camera is successfully paired.
Other helpful resources:
- Review of VAVA Baby Monitor vs Infant Optics DXR 8 Pro
- VAVA Baby Monitor Manual
- VAVA Baby Monitor Comunity Forum with VAVA’s Customer Support Answering Questions
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Sarah Davis is one of the co-founders of Safer For Baby, where she brings her expertise as a certified elementary school teacher in Florida and Alabama. With a focus on working with children with special needs, Sarah is deeply passionate about adaptive technologies and mobility gear for these kids. She is currently working towards becoming a certified car seat technician, and through our website, she provides personalized consultations to help parents find the perfect car seat for their child. Sarah’s dedication extends beyond her work at Safer For Baby; she also serves as a board member for Friends Of the Girl, an NGO that supports girl child education in Kenya. She will soon finish her postgraduate degree in Special Needs Education and hopes to continue her advocacy work for children with disabilities.