Does Owlet work with Google Home? If you own Owlet, you may be curious like many other parents wondering if you can use the two together. The answer is no, Owlet does not work with Google Home. Don’t fall to recent rumors and false information claiming that Owlet has finally integrated with Google Home, because as of now, it hasn’t and I have strong reasons why it won’t be integrated into Google Home shortly. I’ll explain below.
Owlet is one of the baby safety products for home and we specifically like the Owlet Dream Sock 3 and BabySat, both of which have been cleared by FDA as safe monitoring devices to keep track of infants’ vital signs. We, however, are not big fans of the Owlet Cam 2 which is part of Owlet’s complete monitoring kit.
What is Owlet Google Home Compatibility?
Owlet, a renowned and cutting-edge baby monitor, diligently monitors your baby’s heart rate, oxygen levels, and sleep patterns. In addition, it offers the Owlet Cam 2, which many users were eagerly anticipating to be seamlessly integrated with Google Home. On the other hand, Google Home, a smart speaker powered by Google Assistant, empowers users to effortlessly control their home devices through simple voice commands.
Google Home offers a smart display known as Google Nest Hub or Google Nest Hub Max, featuring 7 and 10-inch screens, respectively. These display units provide more than just a reliance on the app for cameras compatible with Google Home.
They allow users to stream live footage directly on the display, offering an alternative to Owlet’s app, which often suffers from connectivity issues. By leveraging the compatibility with Google Nest Hub, users can enjoy a reliable and convenient display option.
Unfortunately, as of this writing in early 2024, Google or Owlet has not indicated any plans to make the two work together.
Does Owlet Integrate with Google Home?
No, Owlet does not currently integrate with Google Home, and there are no immediate plans for integration. Despite previous reports of a potential custom app, it never came to fruition. As a result, you are unable to utilize Google’s Voice Assistant to enhance your monitoring experience with both the Hub display and smart speakers. I will update this article when this changes.
Below is a custom app that never materialized;
Benefits of Owlet Integration with Google Home:
- Use Google Home Hub display: As mentioned earlier, the Google Home Hub display offers an alternative to Owlet’s app for viewing live footage from your baby monitor. This integration would have allowed users to simply use voice commands to view the live feed without having to open the app.
- Hands-free control: With Google Assistant and Google Home, users can control their smart devices hands-free using simple voice commands. This would have been especially useful for new parents who often have their hands occupied with the baby.
- Enhanced functionality: Owlet’s integration with Google Home could potentially offer additional features such as setting custom alerts, adjusting camera settings, and even playing lullabies through the smart speaker.
- Streamlined monitoring experience: Owlet’s integration with Google Home would have provided a more seamless and user-friendly monitoring experience for parents, allowing them to access all features in one place.
- Get vital signs data by asking Google Assistant: Owlet’s smart socks and camera monitor vital signs such as heart rate, oxygen levels, and sleep patterns. With integration to Google Home, parents could have easily asked Google Assistant for this information without having to open the app or check the monitor.
Why Is Owlet Not Compatible with Google Home?
There are a few potential reasons why Owlet is not currently compatible with Google Home:
- Weak security network settings: Owlet uses a lower non-password-protected WPA PSK network which does not encrypt data in its network. Google is very careful to only allow ultra-safe monitors with superior security frameworks that would not compromise the security of the entire Google Home ecosystem.
- Weak encryption: Owlet utilizes the AES-128-bit encryption, which is considered less robust when compared to the AES-256-bit encryption employed by other smart home devices. Going by all the baby monitors that integrate with Google Home, it is unlikely that this AES-128-bit encryption monitor meets Google’s minimum encryption threshold to be part of Google Home ecosystem.
- Bugs: Owlet Cam has a lot of bugs and is not as reliable as other monitors. It constantly loses signal and there are many complaints of users having to try pairing it several times with limited success.
Alternative Baby Monitors Compatible with Google Home:
If you are looking for a baby monitor that is compatible with Google Home, there are several options available on the market. These include:
- Nanit Pro Smart Baby Monitor: This smart baby monitor comes with various features such as sleep tracking, temperature and humidity monitoring, two-way audio, and compatibility with Google Home.
- Arenti Smart Baby Monitor: This monitor offers 1080p HD video quality, sound and motion detection, temperature and humidity monitoring, two-way audio, and integration with Google Home.
- Arlo Baby Monitor: This baby monitor offers high-quality video and audio, air sensors for temperature, humidity, and volatile organic compounds (VOCs), two-way audio, and compatibility with Google Assistant.
- Cubo Ai Plus: This smart baby monitor comes with AI face detection, real-time alerts, night vision, HD video quality, temperature and humidity monitoring, two-way audio, and integration with Google Home.
Read our reviews with 6 baby monitors compatible with Google Home.
While Owlet may not currently be compatible with Google Home, there are various alternative baby monitors available that offer similar features and integration with Google Assistant. It is essential to carefully consider your needs and preferences when choosing a baby monitor, especially when it comes to security and encryption standards.
- About the Author
- Latest Posts
- More info
Sandra W. Bullock is a highly skilled expert in baby safety, specializing in both indoor and outdoor safety. With her previous experience in retail support, she has successfully assisted numerous parents in installing essential safety equipment such as baby gates, cabinet locks, and outlet covers. Additionally, Sandra has collaborated with various child care facilities, providing valuable safety consultations and comprehensive training to caregivers.